Friday, July 22, 2005

Friday Fun!

SatireWire interviews a Search Engine is cute. Found via Presurfer.

Double Super Secret Background a video cartoon by Mark Fiore. Found via Bitch PhD.

Nice Guy Syndrome

As for my internet travels, I've been following the "Nice Guys never get dates" discussons all over the feminist blogosphere. I'm not sure what to say since I married the nicest guy I've ever met. Does this make me deeply flawed, I wonder?

Recent Reading

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. This is a very sad tale told from the point of view of an adolescent boy who has autism. He is a fascinating character but the story is quite the downer. I'm glad I read it, though.

Origin in Death by J.D. Robb. Number billion in a series. This is just plain guilty pleasure reading. The plot for this book is better than most because the villains are less vulgar and disgusting than usually and they are also extremely intelligent. The book ended suddenly with all kinds of loose ends hanging. At the very least the reader deserved a peek at the Thanksgiving dinner that had been a subject throughout the book. No such luck. But then, with Robb, my expectations are so low that it really doesn't matter.

The King of the Confessors by Thomas Hoving is a book I'm slogging through slowly. My co-worker gave it to me after we discussed the art curators mentioned in the book, Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. Hoving is (was?) the curator for Metropolitan Museum in New York. The book is about his search for a purchase of an ivory cross from the Middle Ages. Lots of characters and insight into the world of art collectors. But slow reading. I'm stuck in his tour of Rome and I should just skip over it and finish up. Sigh.

0 comments: