Saturday, June 25, 2005

[b]Aruba redieux[/b]

From the always interesting Bitch PhD I found a link to a wonderful response to the dust-up in the liberal-left blogosphere over Gilliard's post on Halloway. A fellow named Ross at This Space for Rent wrote a marvelous post entitled, I am not my c*ck. I use the asterisk because I'm afraid the filtering program at work will block my site. Here's some wonderful bits and pieces, but by all means follow the link and read the entire post. It's terrific!

I have never raped anyone ....

This isn't something I'm proud of. That's because I can't be proud of not raping people anymore than I can be proud of not sh!tting on myself whenever I laugh. Not being a rapist is the default f*cking setting. Far as I know, most men have never raped anyone. I assume this means that rapists are a minority of men, and in a normal world you'd think that not being an evil, violent monster would make one more sympathetic to the victims of rape, who are also not evil violent monsters.

....Tons of male bloggers and commenters are suddenly stepping over themselves to equivocate and fiddle back and forth on the subject of rape. Sure, they lazily toss in disclaimers about their sympathy to women who have been assaulted, but that's usually followed quickly by a lecture on how women ought to behave.

These sad douchebags state with a straight face the manifesto of all sexist dillweeds who can't wait to castigate women for being sexual beings: "Men", apparently meaning them, "can't control themselves", and therefore women shouldn't be surprised by being assaulted. Really? From this point of view, it's somehow the woman's responsibility not to get raped, rather than society's responsibility to punish and prevent rape in the first place.

....Contrary to what many men (even on the left) seem to think, most guys can and do meet women all the time without even once assaulting them. It's really easy. You just, you know, not be a rapist.


There's more and it's definitely worth reading.

0 comments: