Friday, February 18, 2005

women in war


women in war
Originally uploaded by Ravenmn.
I'm a posting fool! Now that I've figured out how to post graphics through flickr, I'm going to get caught up on some of my activities over the last month. This is a flyer I did for WAMM.

This was the first in a monthly series of talks by women about war. The organizers wanted a logo for the series that could be used each month. The images came from various news sites (I googled "women" and "war"). I especially like the woman's hands in front of the tank. I pulled the images off the internet, changed them to greyscale and adjusted the contrast so they fit together in a decent collage. The organizers have already put out a new leaflet for the February event, using the top and bottom of the flyer, but filling in the new information in the middle. The event will feature Nasrin Jewell, an Iranian woman living in the Twin Cities. You can read an article she wrote for the WAMM newsletter here.

Jewell will be speaking Thursday, February 24 at 7 p.m., Foss Center, Augsburg College, 625 22nd Avenue South in Minneapolis.

Although I missed Kathy Kelly's talk, I listened to it on Northern Sun News, Don Olsen's radio show on KFAI. Kelly spoke movingly of the women she has met in war-torn countries. You can learn more about her work at the home page of Voices in the Wilderness.

0 comments: