Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee

I watched the HBO movie based on the book by Dee Brown.

This book, plus the rise of the American Indian Movement had a direct effect on my life when I was in junior high in Mankato, Minnesota.

Think about the stories you hear about young Germans in the 1960s not being educated about the camps. It was the same for us. We were surrounded by this horrible history, and yet nobody talked about it. Mankato is the site of the largest mass execution in U.S. history shown below in an etching:

Photo Hosted at Buzznet

The settlers originally planned to hang 330, but Pres. Lincoln said it was too many and narrowed it down to 38. This event was celebrated in Mankato with this incredible monoment which greeted ever visitor as they entered town:

Photo Hosted at Buzznet

AIM and other activists threw red paint and/or blood on the monument to express their displeasure:

Photo Hosted at Buzznet

Many years later, through the combined efforts of concerned whites and Native activists, the monument is gone and is replaced by a beautiful white buffalo statue in a placed called "Reconciliation Park":

Photo Hosted at Buzznet

There is a great website put together by local students where you can read more about the events in 1862.

2 comments:

bint alshamsa said...

Raven, I just wanted to let you know that I stopped by and I enjoyed reading this post. I am always learning more no matter how much I think I've already heard about the history of this country. Thank you for writing this.

Lyric said...

Raven, I'm looking for permission to use the image of the hanging monument with red paint. Do you know who owns it?