Sunday, December 23, 2007

A book proposal and its consequences

VISITORS FROM FEMINISTING, PLEASE REQUEST THAT THESE LINKS BE POSTED DIRECTLY ON THE FEMNINISTING SITE. I REFUSE TO BE THE "NICE WHITE LADY" (SEE VIDEO ABOVE) THROUGH WHICH THESE AWESOME WOMEN GET FILTERED. THANK YOU.

Over at Feministing.com, there is a Call for submissions for a new book to be published by Seal Press.

Imagine a world where women enjoy sex on their own terms and aren't shamed for it. Imagine a world where men treat their sexual partners as collaborators, not conquests. Imagine a world where rape is rare and swiftly punished.

Welcome to the world of Yes Means Yes.

Yes Means Yes! will fly in the face of the conventional feminist wisdom that rape has nothing to do with sex. We are looking to collect sharp and insightful essays, from voices both established and new, that demonstrate how empowering female sexual pleasure is the key to dismantling rape culture.....


What follows is a series of bullet points suggesting topics to write about.

Make of it what you will. This could turn it to be a decent book. But what a narrow concept of rape!

One good thing, is the quality of the responses to this badly written cfp. Read and enjoy:


Tekanji

Magniloquence

Sylvia

Sudy

Fire fly

Black Amazon

Veronica

Therimorph

I'm falling up

Elaine Vigneault

Responses from at least one of the editors, Jacklyn Friedman, have been exceptional in the lack of defensive I normally see when valid criticism arises:

Jacklyn's response to Tekanji

Jacklyn's respose to Firefly

6 comments:

belledame222 said...

That sex_and_race post is terrific. I mean, they all are, but hadn't read that one yet. and props for mentioning Mattilda Bernstein Sycamore!

yeah, there's a lot to say about this, and if I had more energy or less brain fog I might jump in. maybe eventually I will.

Elaine Vigneault said...

I responded, too:
http://www.elainevigneault.com/chiming-in-on-the-controversy.html

Magniloquence said...

Wow, wordpress completely failed to notify me about this link!

And since my internet has yet to get set up at the new place, I'm pretty behind on my usual readings. So sorry.

This is a lovely post, and thanks for the link! You are an awesome and much-needed ally.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ravenmn.

You:

VISITORS FROM FEMINISTING, PLEASE REQUEST THAT THESE LINKS BE POSTED DIRECTLY ON THE FEMNINISTING SITE. I REFUSE TO BE THE "NICE WHITE LADY" (SEE VIDEO ABOVE) THROUGH WHICH THESE AWESOME WOMEN GET FILTERED. THANK YOU.

So, you request that Feministing link to their WOC critics directly, but you do do not request that they unlink you.

Feministing

UPDATE: Ravenmn has asked us to unlink to her roundup of the critical discussion, so we have. You can follow that conversation at the following folks' blogs:...

That looks to me like a response without an acknowledgement. They've complied with your request, but they haven't acknowledge the criticism. Instead they've made it look like you demanded that they unlink for some petulant reason or other, and that it was their idea to link to their critics directly.

In other words, they seem to have done to you, exactly what you criticised them for doing to the WOC bloggers.

But you also said this:

I’ve edited my post to ask all visitors from Feministing to request the link to my page be removed and they link directly to the posts in question. We’ll see what happens.

Just loaded the page and it looks like they corrected themselves:

My question is, did you really ask them expicitly to unlink you? Is my interpretation of their response based upon me not knowing something?

Ravenmn said...

Welcome, Daran!

I did ask them to remove my page. Mine was the third comment on the feministing link in your post:

"I would much prefer you remove the link to my page, since I didn't actually write independently, and replace it with direct links from here to the posts I highlight in my round up.

Since a post here apparently creates huge traffic, I'd much rather that traffic go to the people responsible for the well-written critiques."

It would have been nice if they had admitted their gaff in not posting the links directly. But we're not going to get that, it seems.

Anonymous said...

Ignore that. I hadn't thought to read the comment thread on feministing itself. Well, duh! You did in fact, ask them to unlink you.

I still think the criticism that they responded without acknowledging is valid.