Sunday, June 25, 2006

Busy Weekend

Saturday I did my shift at the store. In the evening, Steve Masek (see flyer below) came in to talk about his book. I can't write how ridiculously happy I am that a bookstore volunteers has gotten a book published. He even thanked the store in his acknowledgements. On top of that, he was ridiculously happy when he realized I had actually read his book and could comment on what he had to say. Fancy that!

On a side note, when I got the book I made note of the man who made the cover design. He is a local artist. I e-mailed him to tell him how much I liked the design and to invite him to the bookstore event. He wrote back saying he had not even gotten his sample yet so he didn't know the book had been published. In addition, he never hears from book writers about whether they like his designs or not. Well Steve absolutely loved the design and has agreed to e-mail the designer as soon as I pass on the e-mail. How simple is that, yet apparently not done in the world of publishing. Weird.

Today I headed downtown to march in the Gay Pride Parade. It was a lovely day, warm and sunny and breezy. I marched with the Anti-War Committee. They always have the best antiwar chants:

"Don't Ask, Don't Tell! Take your war and go to hell!"

"Racist, sexist, anti-gay'; Bush and Cheney go away!"

"Take it in the front, take it in the back, whatever you do, get out of Iraq!":

The crowd, as always, loved our message and our irreverent attitude.

After that I headed back to work to do two new leaflets. I got home for a half and hour and then headed off to a board meeting for yet another nonprofit organization.

Life is good.

0 comments: