Friday, August 26, 2005

High School Reunion

I went to a relatively tiny high school. There were 37 people in my class.

Tomorrow night I will attend the 30th anniversary of the closing of my high school. Because the school was so small, we celebrate all-school reunions rather than individual class reunions. I haven't attended any reunions since the 5th reunion.

Funny thing. After 30 plus years, the reunion has almost nothing to do with "me" and has everything to do with curiousity about everyone else. I've heard stories about people going on diets and engaging in major makeovers before attending high school reunions, if only to prove something long after the pain of high school shunning is over.

At some point, though, it all falls by the wayside. At least I think it does. I'll check back in after tomorrow night to see whether the ghosts of high school past infected my enjoyment of events!

The good thing about being a small school is that these all-school reunions invite students, teachers and parents. So my date tomorrow night will be my Mom. She spent many hours at sporting events, parent events and school activities. In most situations, none of that gets acknowledged all these years later. But my school invites the parents and my attendance is something I do for my Mom as much as I do for myself.

But before I do the whole nostalgia thing, I'm going to stop at the Solidarity Committee meeting for the workers on strike against Northwest Airlines. The strike has lasted a week and the bullshit is flowing freely on the local media. In spite of all the crap about "business as usual", there is a growing movement supporting the machinists who have a great big target sign on their backs by the capitalist system. Sure, they may be screwed and they may know it, but nobody is going to go down quietly in this rush towards bancruptcy and default on the part of a huge corporation that has been the beneficiary of huge tax incentives from the people of Minnesota.

The corporate executives of Northwest Airline are publicly dumping their stocks like lemmings. Something they can no longer do in secrecy. Well, you know, fuck them!

0 comments: