Monday, January 31, 2005

When is an election not an election?

Iraqis voted today in their "national" election. The media is covering it as an example of extraordinary progress for all of Iraq. They don't happen to mention that the media is allowed to report from only four polling places in the entire country. And the media isn't even complaining. "Yip! Yip!" say the lapdogs.

------

I just finished reading, "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man" by John Perkins. This is one of those "I was an asshole for imperialism, but now I'm admitting my crimes" tell-all books. Every few years one of these jokers comes around. I remember Phillip Agee and Robert Stockwell from 20 years ago revealing nefarious deeds they participated in while working for U.S. intelligence agencies in Central America and Angola. This author is no different.

What always amazes me about these people is that they understand the evil that they've done to further U.S. global dominance.Yet they consider there experience as an aberration from true capitalism. None of them ever question the very basics of the system. All capitalism needs is a bit of tweaking and everything will come out smelling like roses.

Perkins is even worse. He's decided that all we need do is learn the secrets of proper living from shamanistic tribes. But guess who gets paid to tell us all about it? The shamans themselves? Of course not! What we need is a disillusioned white man, Perkins himself, to show us the way at a conference that will cost you a mere $1,000! Yeah, he's certainly gotten over exploiting people, hasn't he?

And yet, this kind of book will get through to certain people who are just beginning to question the myths they've been told about the beauty and goodness of capitalism. They won't listen unless they hear it from somebody who benefitted from the system and rejected it nevertheless. A struggling worker is just jealous of rich people or expressing sour grapes. A rich person is more credible on the topic.

Yeah, maybe. But I don't have to like it, now do I?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the information i have read here has been really useful, as i know a few friends who sufferoccular migraineand one thing that has helped a couple of them is a Bioflow. They purchased them at occular migraine. It hasn't worked for all of them, but has completely eradicated the problem for one of them, and made the occular migraine much more bearable for the other. It might be worth a look

Anonymous said...

Hi Ravenmn, you have a fantastic blog. Keep it up. I was just out blog surfing for detailed info on carpentry wood working when I found your page. Your this post is a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. If you wouldn't mind, I'd would like to post your link on my "favorites" page for future reading and reference. Should you ever need information on carpentry wood working then drop by and check it out.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ravenmn, your blog is creative. Wow! As I was out blog surfing for detailed info on shaker furniture wood working plans I found you rpage. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I did. If you would not mind, I would like to post your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need
it, there's lots of information on this site about shaker furniture wood working plans.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ravenmn, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on wood working hobby, I ended up on your page. Your this post shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about wood working hobby.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ravenmn, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on wood working bed plan I somehow ended up on your page. As your this post is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I
stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about wood working bed plan, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ravenmn, you have a nice blog. Glad to see it. Today I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on wood working technique when I found your page. Your this post is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. I am going to add you to my favorite list of blogs for future reading and reference. Should you ever need
information on wood working technique then drop by the site above and check it out.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ravenmn...Wow! While I was searching for info on machinery paper sawmill wood working I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for machinery paper sawmill wood working. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about #KEYWORD##.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ravenmn, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on starting a wood working business I somehow ended up on your page. As your this post is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I
stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about starting a wood working business, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

heh heh heh heh heh .... Gotta love roanoke alabama