Monday, January 05, 2009

Lumpy Cat is at the vet

Sox is a 16-year-old calico shorthair by youngest daughter picked out from a rescue group. She's a talkative cat, always wanting to say hello and good morning and pet me now.

Thursday, I noticed she had a small bump underneath her skin behind her right ear. It was about the size of a pea. In addition, she was going through one of her periodic bouts of being able to pass food. Painful constipation, basically.

My last two cats died from cancerous tumors on the heads, so this lump is ominous. Yes, I do live in one of the most densely populated area for SuperFund Cleanup. Why do you ask?

Took Sox to the vet this morning and the doctor's initial prognosis was cyst or protein. A glance under the microscope indicated nothing suspicious. For full test results, I'll have to wait a week or so. Sox had vacated her urinary tract before arriving at the vet, so I had to leave her there while they pumped fluids into her until they got a sample. Silly cat doesn't understand she needs to hold it until the blood and urine test. Hell, I can even do that.

So wish my old lady cat good health and give your own cat a hug from me, Raven, the worried human owned by her cat.

0 comments: